Toffee / Caramel Sauce Recipe

The first thing I'm making from the El Bulli 2003 2004 book is Huevos de Codorniz 63°C/15' con Tofé (tofee). a.k.a. Pigeon Eggs 145°F/15' with Toffee.

Part 1 - Toffee

Ingredients

  • 100 gr sugar [3 oz.] (I actually used 185 because it looked so to be so little in my big sauce pan and that was what was in the rest of the bag)
  • 100 gr 35% Cream (actually used 185gr; to equal the sugar)
Stuff
  • scale - to weigh the ingredients
  • heavy saucepan
  • wooden spoon
  • small hearesistantnt bowl - to heat the cream
  • plastic sauce bottle
  • small funnel (optional)
Procedure
  • Sugar in the bottom of heavy saucepan (the tall, straight sided type). I used my Mauviel.
    • No water; you're cooking the sugar alone
  • Apply heat, shake, to melt sugar (I also stirred -probably to excess)
  • Meanwhile, heat cream until it's steaming real well (not boiling). I use the microwave on 30% power
  • Cook sugar until a golden brown caramel color
  • Add cream to sugar
    • It will boil and foam up very vigorously; quite a surprise; which is why you needed the tall-sided pan
  • Cook, stirring, over medium heat, for 5 minutes to blend cream with the sugar
  • Let it cool (I poured it into another small bowl for this; so I could wash the pan immediately)
  • When 1/2 cool, pour it into the sauce bottle (easiest to do when it's still fairly runny)
    • Maybe use a little funnel to help
Notes
  • This filled an 8 ounce sauce bottle.
  • Store refridgerated.
  • Remove from fridge before use; use a room temp.
Next step…… the eggs - in the next posting.

No comments: