Diet and Fat: A Severe Case of Mistaken Consensus

Link: Diet and Fat: A Severe Case of Mistaken Consensus - New York Times

Since I'm suffering from a lovely fever (hitting 39,8 [103.7 F]) I'm taking the easy way out an posting a link to someone else's' stuff on the internet - in this case, The New York Times. That, combined with the fact that I didn't actually eat anything to take a picture of and post a recipe about yesterday - except tea - if that qualifies.

You may have noticed that I repeatedly say "don't be afraid of fats" (especially olive oil - and, secondarily, butter). In my case it's not from any real science-based knowledge about the subject; it's just that I know that good olive oil tastes good and --- well.... vegetable oil is only greasy. Good butter has flavour and texture whereas margarine... doesn't.
Call it instinct - - or hedonism.

The article cited basically says that the "fat is bad for you" scare is based on self referential, non-analytical, mass-hysteria effects (within the science community). Basically, a bunch of scientists sitting around and agreeing with an incorrect conclusion because it's difficult to be a dissenter. What they called "mistaken consensus".

1 comment:

Shalee said...

Hope you feel better! Something seems to be rolling around the world, causing some serious discords in the good people in this world.

And I heartily agree that not all fats are bad. Hence the reason I stock up on good olive oil and freeze butter when it's on a great sale!