Ginger Glazed Carrots

Apparently we need more veggies around here. Monday I made some quick vegs to stash in the 'fridge.

  • Peas & (dried) parsley (and sea salt)
  • Green asparagus (now in season; thin ones) (pour boiling water over them and cover to cook/steam for 10 minutes)
  • Lemon corn (mini kernels [niblets] and added cajun lemon vegetable spices)
Today I'll be making Ginger Glazed Carrots

Ingredients:
  • 1 jar baby carrots (I don't like cans and fresh babies aren't available; nor do I feel like tourne-ing a bunch of them)
  • 1 t salt (for the cooking water)
  • 2 T ginger, fresh ground (actually, use the microplane - don't bother peeling it) [or 1 t powdered)
  • 2 T butter (not margarine)
  • 1 T brown sugar
  • 1/2 t salt
Procedure:
  • Cook carrots in salted water (just covered) until just barely tender
  • Drain carrots, & get ready to transfer to the saute pan
  • Meanwhile
    • Put butter into sauté pan - on high heat
    • Sauté, browning slightly, until nutty
    • Add brown sugar, ginger and salt - lower heat
    • Disolve the sugar
    • Add the carrots
  • Saute to glaze the carrots
    • If the mix is thick add 1 T of water at a time until it's functioning as a glaze, not an icing
Done. Simple? ¿Yes?
Time: 20 minutes, tops

Notes:
  1. I use a small (but not tiny) jar of carrots. The size of the jar determines the proportions of the rest of the ingredients. You can work it out - no problem.
  2. Powdered vs fresh ginger. Some say to substitute 1/8 t ground ginger (dry powdered) for 1 T fresh ground/minced ginger. That's too little in my opinion; I don't believe that dried ground ginger is 24 times as flavorful as fresh. This recipe uses an equivalent of 1/2 t per T.
  3. Update (later the same day): My butter/sugar/ginger mix had the sugar lump up quite badly rather than disolve so I had to discard the lumpiness before adding the carrots. Don't know why; might have been too little butter for too much sugar. Better luck next time.
  4. Some recipes like this one add a touch of nutmeg

1 comment:

Shalee said...

I tried this recipe last night and the family LOVED it. I usually make something like it using butter and honey, but the ginger was a nice twist.

Thanks for sharing your creations again. And it was nice to see you commenting on my blog. And you are right - all the great blogs have something to do with food!