Lesson 2 : LCB at Home : Country-style Soup, Veal Scallops, Caramel Custard

We go to lesson 2 of the book : Le Cordon Bleu: At Home

chicken 200420081202

What's this got to do with a chicken you might ask? In particular, a whole (feet and head included) version of a chicken?

In the spirit of "know your food" I figured I'd get myself a chicken that looked like one; it was to make the chicken stock for the 1st dish (soup). Ugly critter, isn't it?

The menu tomorrow will be:

Country-Style Soup : Soupe Villageoise : Country-Style Vegetable Soup with Noodles

Veal Scallops Vallée d'Auge : Escalopes de Veau Vallée d'Auge: Veal Scallops with Apples and Calvados

Caramel Custard : Créme Renversée au Caramel : Caramel Custard

There's three names in each item above because I give three versions of the name of each dish: What I would use on a menu : French title from the book : English title from the book

Back stories:

  • villageoise = villager
  • Vallée d'Auge-style (the Auge valley in Normandy) = prepared with créme frâiche and calvados
  • creme renversée = flan (more or less)

The veal "scallops" I ordered were sold to me under the denomination of Veal Cutlets. Not sure what the difference is.

Recipes and evaluations starting tomorrow.

No comments: