Pot Roast - sans pot

Yesterday's leftover rice; pisto already prepared and Alton Brown's recipe for pot roast in the oven, minus the olives.
I was quite surprised that it called for 3 -3½ hours at 190-200F (75-80C) which seemed quite low. So I popped the heat up a tad and the darn thing reached 60c internal temp in just 2 hours Luckily it was a good cut of meat so ended up not tough at all. I need a sharper knife though to cut it thinner.

Recipe

  • 1.5 K chunk of meat for roasting
  • 2 teaspoons chunky salt
  • 2 teaspoons cumin
  • olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 5 to 6 cloves garlic, smashed
  • 1 cup tomato frito (made earlier this week - capricious)
  • 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 cup dark raisins

Preheat the oven to 190-200 degrees F [or, in my case, 150ish C; gradually creeping it down as I became nervous about the result; ended up at 75c]
Place a wide, heavy skillet or fry pan over high heat for 2 minutes [I put in oil though].
Meanwhile, rub both sides of meat with the salt and cumin.
When the pan is hot (really hot) brown meat on both sides and remove from pan.
(in my case I put in the onions & garlic, realize your mistake, and retrieve them [to do later])

Add just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan then add the onion and garlic. Stir constantly until onion is softened.
Add the tomato frito, vinegar, and raisins. Bring to a boil and reduce the liquid a bit.
Create a pouch with wide, heavy duty aluminum foil [or, as I did, try to seal two thin light pieces]. Place half the reduced liquid/chunk mixture on the foil, add the roast, and then top with the remaining mixture. Close the pouch, and wrap tightly in another complete layer of foil.
Cook for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until a fork pushes easily into the meat [I used a thermo to 60c].
Remove from oven and rest (still wrapped) for at least 1/2 hour. Slice meat thinly, or pull apart with a fork. Serve with the sauce sauce. Lovely.
A little too well down 'cause I had the heat too high. - - but, hey! still learning. Always learning.

See also Alton Brown

No comments: