Fish Fumet

Made the Carrot Puree again (see below) but with less pepper and I forgot the garlic (!). As usual everyone raved about it - but that means I can't get any constructive criticism. Damn.

Am cooking for some other people this week (family) and went on a little spree - hopefully I actually bought enough of the correct stuff to combine it into decent meals.
Key purchases were the fresh cod (filleted) and the pulpo (octopus); which will become interest things over the next couple of days.

The first step was to make a fish fumet with the remains of the cod filleting (which I let the shop do - they're pretty good at it and I didn't bring my knives on this trip).

  • 1 carrot chopped
  • 1/2 med onion chopped
  • 1 bunch leek (greens only) (some say whites only but I go with greens only as does Le Cordon Bleu)
  • parsely stalks (a little bundle)
  • 1 cod head (remove eyes, gills)
  • 1 cod spine (remains from filleting)
  • 1 laurel leaf
  • 1 small thyme stalk (fresh)
  • a bit of salt
You should sweat the veggies first, then sweat the fish bones and then proceed with te water an everything... but I just plum forgot. Oh silly me (turned out well anyway)
Cover with cold water. Bring to a boil then simmer uncovered; skimming the skum; 1/1 hour.
Turn off, cover, and leave to go for a little drive on the new highway they open last week.
Return, bring back to a simmer and skim some more. Another 15 minutes go by and suddenly you notice it's changed from cloudyish to clear-ish. You're done. Don't cook too long at it can (and will) turn bitter (or so they say).
Haul out all the chucky bits and pour through a strainer (or chinois). Let it settle and gently pour off the clearest part from the top - not disturbing the crud that will have settled to the bottom.

Here you end up with fish fumet "gold" and will have to figure out something to use it in over the next couple or three days; as will I.

No comments: