Roast Pork Loin

So I takes a little loin o' pork and try to figure out what to do with it.
Several seconds of research on chef2chef yield a half a dozen choices and I mix several all together an come up with:

  • oven temp 180 C
  • cook to an internal temp of 60 (the low end of recommendations - keep good pork done only lightly)
  • mustard
  • maple (maple syrup) [I love Canada]
  • soy
  • olive oil
  • cider vinegar
  • garlic cloves (2)
  • marinate it
Whisk together 2 tablespoons of each ingredient - double up on the vinegar and use French grainy mustard.
Marinate the thing for at least an hour (better would be 3) - turn once if I remember rightly

Next: the "crust" - 2 tablespoons of rosemary (I ground the dried version in my mortar)
1 tsp coarse salt (to help the mortaring)
mix with
2 big tablespoons of Dijon mustard
Remove pork from marinada, smear mustard-rosemary mix on the pork.
Put in a clay pot and pour the marinade around (not over) the meat
Into the oven at 180 until it reaches an internal temp of 60. I got nervous about the time it might take and cranked it to 200 C (my bad). And I turned off the upper element of the electric oven ... so it actually didn't `crust´ up at all. Took only 40 minutes for about 3/4 kilo.

Remove from oven and let the damn thing alone on a board or plate for 15 minutes. It will be much more tender, although you will not be eating the meat hot. Big deal. Put a foil temp over it if you want to retain more heat.

Easy, Fast, Tasty.

Tomorrow - Fabada.

1 comment:

Shalee said...

I tried this recipe and the family loved it, especially my kids (both under 10 years old). I served it with fresh oregano/garlic green beans and a nice, smooth red wine for the adults (milk for the kids). If I was really with it, I would have had added a nice rustic loaf of french bread with it. I've already had requests from them to make it again!

Thanks for sharing your wonderful idea.