Curry Beef: Trinidad: Preparation

The Ultimate Curry Bible by Madhur Jaffrey is a fantastic book if you like curries at all. Think… Indian food; but she doesn't just cover India she does curries from all over the world. I wanted an excuse to use some (okay, one) of my habanero chilies and broke out the bible.

This was not going to be too easy; before I could start with the recipe I had to make three of the ingredients: hot curry powder, roasted cumin seeds and amchar masala (a spice mixture). Or just buy this stuff at the store if you can find it.

Hot Curry Powder
Ingredients:

  • 3 t whole brown mustard seeds (or black)
  • 4 t whole peppercorns (black ones; in my case I used a mix of dried black, brown, red and green)
  • 2 T whole cumin seeds
  • 4 T whole coriander seeds
  • 11 whole cloves (or 10 or 12 or something)
  • 6 dried hot red chilies (less if you're cautious about "hot" chilies - but do not omit)

  • 2 t whole fenugreek seeds
  • 2 t ground turmeric
Procedure:
  1. In a small heavy frying pan lightly toast the first 6 ingredients until some of them change color and they develop a "roasted" smell; over medium heat
  2. Remove from the heat
  3. Add the fenugreek and turmeric
  4. Stir for 10 seconds
  5. Remove from pan & cool
  6. Grind finely
  7. - Done -
Notes:
  1. Fenugreek, turmeric and cloves are what really make a curry.
  2. Madhur Jaffrey advises fanatics to add ½ to 1 teaspoon of chili powder (not for me)

Roasted Cumin Seeds
  • 3 T whole Cumin Seeds
  1. Roast in a small heavy frying pan until toasty and full of aroma; over medium heat
  2. Remove from pan & cool
  3. Grind finely
  4. - Done - Dead easy, wasn't it?

Amchar Masala
Ingredients:
  • 1 t whole brown mustard seeds (or black)
  • 2 t whole peppercorns (black ones; in my case I used a mix of dried black, brown, red and green)
  • 2 T whole cumin seeds
  • 4 T whole coriander seeds
  • 1 t whole fenugreek seeds
  • 1 t whole fennel seeds (this is the magic of this mixture)
Procedure:
  1. Lightly roast in a small heavy frying pan over medium heat
  2. Remove from pan & cool
  3. Grind finely
  4. - Done -
Notes:
  1. I didn't have brown mustard seeds for this so I just put in a ¼ teaspoon of regular yellow (Gulden's) mustard powder (not a really good substitution but that's all I had available)
This roasting / toasting of the spices is one of the things that makes "Indian" food a little unique.

Luckily I have all these unusual seeds in house all the time so I was ready to go. Once these three things made I could actually go off and consider making the curry; which is actually quite easy and will be in the next post (since this one is starting to drag on for a bit).

No comments: