25. Best Gift ‘09

Gift. What's a gift you gave yourself this year that has kept on giving?

This had me thinking back to the best xmas gift I ever-ever got; a bike.  It was used, 10 speed, drop handlebars, racer seat, toe-clips – the whole “real bicycling” ball o’ wax; with a Roger Rivière decal on the frame (who famously crashed on the Tour de France in 1960 – breaking his spine). 

It got me outside, riding, a little bit of road racing, touring around the nearby university grounds.  No doubt contributing to my generally good health.  It also gave me “nice legs” (or so I’ve been told).

This year? 2009?  I shall avoid the temptation to go with the sappy types of “gifts” like the gift-of “friendship”,  “a kiss”, “peace”, “love”, “contentment”, “great sex”, “happiness”, “sunshine” or “kindness” or other conceptual, ephemeral, things of that sort which I received this year .  In real physical terms, something that someone gave me as a gift was… a cookbook.  The classic Spanish at-home cook book; 1080 Recipes by Simone Ortega - in a new. illustrated, edition.  It’s always at hand around here.

519O3CDPodL._SL160_

No comments: